Buena Vista beach is a nesting beach of approximately 2.8 km of length and limited in the north by the blind estuary and in the south by the river Buena Vista, the back of the beach is limited by a system of mangroves, which depend on water from the river and tides, beach slope is low ranging between 3 ° and 4 ° to swell, so the currents are strong which makes it an ideal place for surfing. The project is located in the northern part of Costa Rica, in the canton of Nicoya, 2,5 kms to the centre of Sámara.
Working fields for the volunteer:
- Maintenance of the infrastructure and surroundings
- Cleaning of the beach
- Transport of alimentation and water, from the river to the project (1-2 days per week)
- Collection the information about the nesting activity (collection and measures of the eggs in the hatchery, marking of females)
- Monitoring and surveillance of the hatcheries
- Liberation of the babies
- Collection of information about the nests
- Night patrols (3-5 days a week, 3 hours per night)
Space and capacity: Maximum 26 volunteers. Allowed minimum stay are 2 weeks, maximum 12 months. Preference will be given to volunteers with an availability of more than 2 weeks.
Schedule of the volunteers: 6 to 10 hours per day depending on the intensity of nesting activity and community support commitments. The work is done mostly during the night hours, daytime schedule will depend on the type of activity to develop and the rains of the season. Every week volunteers have a day off (Sundays).
- Volunteers are needed with a strong desire for collaboration, good attitude, excellent physical condition and adaptability to coexist with utilities, those volunteers who have prior knowledge in biology or conservation of turtles (not a must) are preferred, it considered an advantage if staff has expertise in construction or carpentry.
- Basic Level of Spanish
Description of accommodation: Currently the project has a wood rustic lodge consisting of a common enclosure for volunteers on the second floor, kitchen and dining space. Outside it has 2 bathrooms and 2 toilets. It has water and showers. It has no electricity service. It has a solar panel in which you can charge your cell phone once a day. There is not Wifi.
Location: Buena Vista is located in Samara Beach on the peninsula of Nicoya, province of Guanacaste, in South Pacific.
Additional information: All volunteers must bring bed linen (2 sheets, blankets), insect repellent/after bite cream, sunscreen, and water bottle. Also, dark clothing with long sleeves and closed and comfortable shoes for evening walks, waterproof, additionally bring a hat, flashlight with red filter (mandatory), and fly block (mosquito net). As an important detail, to get to the project, you should get to Samara town, then after you should take a taxi to Buena Vista River. Once you are there, you have to cross the river (We recommend you bring backpacks not suitcases). When the tide is low (in summer time), you can cross the river by waking. When the tide is high, there are people from the project who are going to pick you up with a kayak (you are going to get your pants wet). There are surf lessons for rent in the project. So, if you are interested you can bring money to pay for the lessons and to learn how to surf.
- € 498,- Grenzenlos-Programmgebühr (einmalig) plus
- die Programmgebühr der Partnerorganisation: $ 850,- (4 Wochen); $ 1650,- (8 Wochen); $ 2450,- (12 Wochen)